Child Care Outreach Specialist
Austin PBS is looking for a full time Child Care Outreach Specialist. The core function of this one-year grant-funded position is to conduct outreach to child care providers serving children and families of low income in the Central Texas viewing area of Austin PBS.
This position will be facilitating the uses of the PBS digital media resources that contribute to school readiness and school-friendly practices. In regular visits, the Child Care Outreach Specialist will model practices, facilitate effective practices, and interact with other staff and the children’s families. Resources will remain at the child care centers with the goal of their regular incorporation into the centers’ activities.
Due to construction delays in our new permanent facility, this position will currently working remote from home or attending child care facilities. When our facility is open, this position will return to 40 hrs/week in office.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Gain facility and knowledge of PBS KIDS digital media and accompanying resources geared toward preschool learning, school readiness, and overall well-being
- Recruit at least 20 child care providers between the period of October 1, 2021 and August 31, 2022
- Provide own transportation to partner sites within the Greater Austin area (mileage reimbursed)
- Distribute digital and hands-on materials to the providers for their use during the grant year and beyond; regular handle and transport equipment 20 lbs. or less
- Facilitate on-site uses of PBS digital media and devices through an approach that includes modeling then shifts to a facilitator/coach role.
- Conduct monthly visits (ideally in-person but virtual if in-person is not viable) for coaching, consulting, and building connections between the child care providers and Austin PBS
- Track data relevant to outreach efforts, including: reactions from child care providers, youth, and families; numbers of devices and resources distributed; numbers of outreach activities conducted with providers/sites/families
- Participate in all relevant Austin PBS Educational Services meetings, Austin PBS External Relations meetings, and all other appropriate Austin PBS staff meetings
- Represent Austin PBS at select public events (to be determined by the Educational Services team). These events typically occur after work hours and during weekends in non-COVID times
- Participate in relevant professional development as part of Austin PBS Educational Services
- Present information and resources consistent with the PBS and Austin PBS mission to parents of young children
Knowledge & Skills Required
- High School Diploma required
- Minimum of 2 years previous experience in early childcare and instruction
- Childhood Development Associate credential preferred
- Strong relational skills
- Tech proficiency to use and maintain digital devices, primarily tablets and laptop computers
- Creative energy to forge new alliances and directions
- Successful criminal background check, including fingerprint scan due to work with children
- A current COVID virus vaccination due to work with children under the age of 12
- Preferred - Oral and literate fluency in Spanish and English
Austin PBS, KLRU-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
To apply: Please email a resume to email@example.com