The Decibel team at Austin PBS is looking for an eager, creative and self-motivated visual storyteller who enjoys meeting interesting people and reporting on underrepresented communities.
As a Multimedia Journalist for Decibel, you’ll support Decibel’s mission as a community-led journalism project by creating first-person news documentaries and multimedia stories for our website. We are looking for a strong storyteller who works well with a team and can develop innovative storytelling techniques to support our mission of amplifying diverse voices in Central Texas through in-depth listening and storytelling.
The successful candidate will report, write, shoot and edit stories, develop community contacts and represent the station at community engagement events.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for storytelling process, from beginning to end
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Reports video stories for web, social and broadcast
- Conducts research and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
- Shoots and edits news stories
- Writes stories and photo captions for the web and other platforms
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Builds scripts and storyboards for stories
- Creates graphics and photos for web
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Interacts with audience on web, social media or at community events
- Applies exemplary technical skills to shoot interesting compositions and capture excellent audio that adheres to the Decibel visual style guide
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor's degree in RTVF production, video production, photography, journalism, or other similar related fields (or the equivalent combination of education and experience)
- At least five years experience (internships included)
- Experience writing in AP Style
- Demonstrated excellence as a visual storyteller
- Demonstrated ability to generate and execute creative ideas and collaborate with others
- Ability to work with a flexible schedule that will include nights and weekends
- Experience with Creative Cloud suite of video and photo editing software including Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop, Audition
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience with DSLR or cinema-style video cameras and a variety of lenses, specifically Canon c300/c100/ C70 cameras
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards and uncompromising ethics
Preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated ability to design motion graphics in After Effects
- Demonstrated ability to set up lighting
Essential Job Functions
While performing duties of the job, the employee will move about the office to meet with staff and on video shoots, remain in a stationary position for an extended period of time, inspect objects, transport objects, ascend stairs and communicate with staff members.
The employee must occasionally move, transport or transfer objects that weigh up to 50 pounds. The employee will be required to operate a video camera, video editing software and a computer on a daily basis.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Austin PBS is working partially remotely at this time. We expect this position to have a flexible- hybrid schedule in the future with occasional after-hours and weekend work as needed.
Executive Editor, Decibel
- 16 paid holidays (of which 4 are floating)
- 12 vacation days
- 12 sick leave days
- Medical, dental and vision benefits effective first day of the following month (company covers the majority of employee benefit costs)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Safe Harbor 403 (b) plan (4% monthly company contribution)
- Life insurance (company paid)
- Long-term Disability (company paid)
- Employee Assistance Program with 6 free counseling sessions
- Austin City Limits taping passes based on rotating basis and when available
- Watch production of Overheard with Evan Smith and Central Texas Gardener based on employee’s work schedule
- Business Casual work environment
Austin PBS, KLRU-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
Submit resume, cover letter telling us why you want to work in public media and the story you are most proud to have worked on, plus three links to samples of your work online to firstname.lastname@example.org.