Job Title: Senior Accountant
Come join us over at Austin PBS in our new offices at Austin Community College Highland Campus. Be a part of our mission to educate, entertain and engage children and adults in the Greater Austin area and beyond by providing distinctive media experiences that matter, whether on the air, online or on the ground, and reflecting Austin’s uniqueness and creativity to the world. We are looking for a full time Senior Accountant who will help fulfill our mission The Senior Accountant will contribute to various aspects of the accounting, providing detailed analysis and accounting system support, assisting staff across the organization in understanding accounting processes and systems, and will perform balance sheet account reconciliations. The senior accountant will be responsible for processing payroll.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Accurately calculates and prepares payroll according to company policy and union contract requirements, and audits for accuracy;
- Processes and audits all timesheet records;
- Compiles payroll statistics and prepares analysis of payroll data or other reports as needed.
- Prepares payroll reimbursements and tax deposits;
- Proofs all input data and transmits to payroll vendor, to accurately create payroll checks and audits checks and payroll reports for accuracy;
- Prepares payroll and employee benefit reports;
- Audits and verifies accuracy of pension plan invoicing, group insurance invoicing, Cafeteria plan (IRS Section 125) invoicing, and creates proof of earnings and monthly billing statements;
- Processes Cafeteria “Flex plan” reimbursements to employees;
- Maintains knowledge of policies, employee contracts, union agreements and government regulations that affect payroll procedures;
- Audits annual vacation and sick leave resets/accruals;
- Reviews IRS W-2s for accuracy and balances the four quarters with W-2s and required Section 125 amounts;
- Trains supervisors in payroll procedures; and
- Responsible for recruiting, placement and training of Federal Work Study students; and is responsible for invoicing and other paperwork associated with the program.
Cash Receipts/Accounts Receivables
- Reviews bank accounts on a daily basis for ACH's in and out;
- Reconciles cash receipts with development department (i.e. membership dues, GiveGab, etc.);
- Record and reconcile revenue for merchandise sales including quarterly sales tax review and filing; and
- Processes daily batches from development into accounting software.
- Assist Accounting Manager in full monthly close process of KLRU and its subsidiaries; and
- Assist Accounting Manager in reconciliation of balance sheet accounts
Audit & Tax
- Assist Accounting Manager in preparation of annual audit; and
- Assist Accounting Manager in preparation of 990s.
- Reviews all projects balances, including educational services and production for revenue and expense recognition; and if needed complete and issue mandated reports by funders;
- Work with Accounting Mangers on AFR, SABS and SAS for annual reporting, including reconcilation with MIP and AFS;
- Maintain and track all in kind donations for the year with special attention to documentation and policy guidelines per CBP and Schedule C of the AFR; and
- Other ad hoc projects as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Bachelor’s in Accounting or related field required (unless candidate has a CPA)
- CPA preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience
- Supervisory skills are a plus
- Experience with ABILA MIP is a plus, must have experience with large ERP system
- Experience with full cycle payroll required
- Experience with Paylocity is a plus
- Some nonprofit experience is required
- Must be reliable and extremely trustworthy.
- Knowledge of GAAP
- Must have intermediate Excel skills (i.e. pivot table, vlookups, etc.)
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidential and meticulous records.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; good organizational skills; detail oriented.
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude.
- 16 paid holidays (of which 4 are floating)
- 12 vacation days
- 12 sick leave days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits effective first day of the following month (company covers the majority of employee benefit costs)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Safe Harbor 403 (b) plan (4% monthly company contribution)
- Life insurance (company paid)
- Long term Disability (company paid)
- Employee Assistance Program with 6 free counseling
- ACL Taping Passes based on rotating basis and when available
- Watch production of Overheard with Evan Smith & Central Texas Gardner based on employee’s work schedule
- Business Casual Work Environment
Austin PBS, KLRU-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
To apply: Please email a resume to email@example.com